Poms and Europe

Forum to discuss the major talking points from both home and abroad.
Yorkshire Exile
Fan Footy Don Fox

Re: Poms and Europe

Postby Yorkshire Exile » Fri Sep 21, 2018 4:58 pm

much of our inward investment is contingent on access to EU market. the stuff that isnt is often based on exploiting uk market with profits (frequently untaxed) going overseas

skills - already seeing drop in eg nurses. I sit on a number of advisory bodies and labour shortages are rife across many industries - both skilled and unskilled labour. Wages may rise as people compete - but prices will also go up.

My understanding of tariffs is that trading on wto terms increases % on most goods. Supply chain delays may mean it is uneconomic for some production to remain here. Reducing tariffs works both ways is not necessarily desirable. Not my area this!

civil obedience - noone is going to be satisfied with the outcome - less jobs, more austerity etc is going to raise tensions. This is not a left or right problem - it will be both

there are already housing pressures - local authority budgets will be further squeezed, labour supply to build will be reduced. Aging stock. An adjustment in house prices may be desirable - but those who cant afford to buy now wont be able to buy in the future either...

investment has already lagged way behind what is required - aging infrastructure, demoralised public sector workforce..... reductions to the treasury mean further cuts to public services

we do have power on world stage - partly as consequence of European Union, NAto, G7 etc.... but this will relegate us

extremism has been fostered and many have used the schism of brexit to further unsavoury causes. everything has become very divisive and insular. Leadership has become moronic.

blair / cameron - neither could be thought of as extreme ends of even their own parties - we have a massive gap in the middle ground

regulation - most eu stuff has been transposed into UK law. There is a philosophy that this is all idiotic and we had no hand in its development. which is bollocks. Some of this is under threat as a consequence of being seen to be streamlining. Things like grenfell demonstrate the importance of regulation and what happens when it is not implemented properly or audited thoroughly. the environmental regulation arena alone is massive. Pesticides, waste, water quality etc

the whole debate has a quasi religious feel about it - with sides becoming so entrenched and intransigent there is no happy ending (not that sort)... the current May chequers plan is just one such example

Muppet
Fan Footy Kevin McCormack
Location: There's a nice pussy there if you look really really hard

Postby Muppet » Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:05 pm

Yorkshire Exile wrote:much of our inward investment is contingent on access to EU market. the stuff that isnt is often based on exploiting uk market with profits (frequently untaxed) going overseas

I didn't really disagree with you did I

skills - already seeing drop in eg nurses. I sit on a number of advisory bodies and labour shortages are rife across many industries - both skilled and unskilled labour. Wages may rise as people compete - but prices will also go up.

I didn't say we didn't have a skill shortage did I Doc, my point that being outside the EU wont stop us recruiting skilled workers

My understanding of tariffs is that trading on wto terms increases % on most goods. Supply chain delays may mean it is uneconomic for some production to remain here. Reducing tariffs works both ways is not necessarily desirable. Not my area this!

The tariffs on food & clothing are high, coming out of the EU 'we' negotiate our own trade deals, I'll try & find Mumfords explanation later

civil obedience - noone is going to be satisfied with the outcome - less jobs, more austerity etc is going to raise tensions. This is not a left or right problem - it will be both

Why more austerity? The economy is likely to, put it mildly, slow down. Borrowing will certainly have to go up. Tax cuts are more likely under those circumstances

there are already housing pressures - local authority budgets will be further squeezed, labour supply to build will be reduced. Aging stock. An adjustment in house prices may be desirable - but those who cant afford to buy now wont be able to buy in the future either...

True there are housing pressures but why assume cuts. Chancellors dont make cuts if yer on the verge of recession, more likely the opposite

investment has already lagged way behind what is required - aging infrastructure, demoralised public sector workforce..... reductions to the treasury mean further cuts to public services

Yer obsessed with cuts

we do have power on world stage - partly as consequence of European Union, NAto, G7 etc.... but this will relegate us

Will still be in Nato & G7 but in truth we've little influence these days

extremism has been fostered and many have used the schism of brexit to further unsavoury causes. everything has become very divisive and insular. Leadership has become moronic.

Find that hard to disagree with :lol:

blair / cameron - neither could be thought of as extreme ends of even their own parties - we have a massive gap in the middle ground

Ditto

regulation - most eu stuff has been transposed into UK law. There is a philosophy that this is all idiotic and we had no hand in its development. which is bollocks. Some of this is under threat as a consequence of being seen to be streamlining. Things like grenfell demonstrate the importance of regulation and what happens when it is not implemented properly or audited thoroughly. the environmental regulation arena alone is massive. Pesticides, waste, water quality etc

Not sure what the EU has/had to do with Grenfell, the rest yer being a doom merchant without much logic on yer last point

the whole debate has a quasi religious feel about it - with sides becoming so entrenched and intransigent there is no happy ending (not that sort)... the current May chequers plan is just one such example

You calling me intransigent Doc :shock: :lol:

Muppet

Postby Muppet » Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:22 pm

I'm glad I didn't try to explain his views :lol:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xskWLMu5Ggo

Muppet

Postby Muppet » Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:52 pm

Yorkshire Exile
Fan Footy Don Fox

Postby Yorkshire Exile » Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:10 pm

Muppet

Postby Muppet » Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:16 pm

:dunno:

Muppet

Postby Muppet » Sat Sep 22, 2018 7:07 am

Shame she didn't show this grit when she triggered Article 50 :clap2:

However, she's been bloody useless & will go down as probably the worst PM in history, primarily losing her majority by running a dire campaign. :Hi-Guy:

BUT

When I hear/read hardcore remainers referring to her as useless/moronic I wonder what they expect her to do :hmmm:

She couldn't ignore the referendum result because she didn't agree with it which is exactly what Remainers seem to expect her to have done & that just might have triggered civil disobedience which is ironic as some claim brexit could cause exactly that.

Muppet

Postby Muppet » Sat Sep 22, 2018 7:24 am

Some doubt they could do this if we stayed in the EU which is one reason why team Corbyn really wants us out. :biker:

Muppet

Postby Muppet » Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:49 pm

Not much has changed since the referendum according to this poll. Indicates similar %'s but this time in favour of remain.

If that was the case, lets make it best of 3 :mrgreen:

Muppet

Postby Muppet » Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:16 am

Muppet

Postby Muppet » Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:52 am

Muppet wrote:

Civil obedience Quite possible if the Left encourage it as Militant did in the 1980's, manage to turn peaceful protest into riots over the poll tax.

Talk of the devil :lol:

That's bad enough but she's not in the same league as her Chancellor,the old anarchist :Isay:

Muppet

Postby Muppet » Sun Sep 23, 2018 12:34 pm

Probably the first & only time I agree with John McDonnell :shock: :lol:

'The peoples vote' should be a General Election, its true that its certainly possible I wont like the result but its democracy & if the 'people' vote for a Corbyn government, so be it, people will get what they deserve. :oldgit:

Looks to me that the 'leadership' desperately want brexit but its more than possible the Conference will vote for a 2nd referendum :hmmm:

The battle between Mclusky & Lansman will be interesting, Unions v Militant Momentum :spliff:

If Lansman wins & reduces the Unions voting rights transferred to him, expect Conference to officially endorse the decision for a future Labour government to scrap Trident :hmmm:

Tim Bisley
Fan Footy Eric The Eel

Poms and Europe

Postby Tim Bisley » Sun Sep 23, 2018 4:19 pm

Yesterday’s Leave Means Leave Rally at Bolton Wanderers Football Stadium.

Notice anything?

Yorkshire Exile
Fan Footy Don Fox

Postby Yorkshire Exile » Sun Sep 23, 2018 5:27 pm

Looks like eastbourne

Ianovich
Fan Footy Dorando Pietri

Postby Ianovich » Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:12 pm

Timmsy in the red jacket?

Tim Bisley
Fan Footy Eric The Eel

Postby Tim Bisley » Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:14 pm

I thought it was a Sun Life seminar and they’d all been offered a free Parker Pen for attending.

Ianovich
Fan Footy Dorando Pietri

Postby Ianovich » Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:23 pm

Rolling Stones gig?

Yorkshire Exile
Fan Footy Don Fox

Postby Yorkshire Exile » Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:29 pm

Is that Avit in the middle with his hand up? Asking if he can go to the toilet :monkey:

Muppet

Postby Muppet » Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:01 am

Yorkshire Exile wrote:Looks like eastbourne

I bet some of them wish they could afford to live there. :hmmm:

There's clips of some of them walking in, not a zimmer frame in sight :clap2:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYN0xJaYFqI

Muppet

Postby Muppet » Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:10 am

Tim Bisley
Fan Footy Eric The Eel

Postby Tim Bisley » Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:31 am

The generation in the photo

- Were born into the NHS
- Were too young for National Service
- Had the opportunity to enjoy free Higher Education
- Had access to affordable housing
- Many of them will have excellent final salary pensions

And they're all still f*ckin' miserable.

Muppet

Postby Muppet » Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:36 am

Tim Bisley wrote:The generation in the photo

- Were born into the NHS
- Were too young for National Service
- Had the opportunity to enjoy free Higher Education
- Had access to affordable housing
- Many of them will have excellent final salary pensions

And they're all still f*ckin' miserable.

I'm impressed with yer powers comrade :shock: :lol:

Just by looking at a photo you manage to spot their all fucking miserable :Isay:

What's really disturbing is that yer deluded arrogant enough to assume yer right :baseball:

Muppet

Postby Muppet » Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:03 pm

Yorkshire Exile wrote:
Muppet wrote:
Yorkshire Exile wrote:There is still no semblance of a plan for when we leave and most people do not appreciate the magnitude of the problem

Just out of curiosity, what is the magnitude of the problem in your view.

The potential loss of jobs is by far my No 1 concern, of course that'll have knock on effect to welfare expenditure & a loss to the treasury. It'll mean borrowing would rise significantly to maintain services. There would be a degree of chaos for exporters for a period but I'm struggling to see what detrimental impact a no deal would have for 'joe/joanne public' at large.

I think the magnitude of the problem is massive..... I don't think we've even scratched the surface of impacts

I fear for:
jobs
Inward investment

In our out, this would be a catastrophe for inward investment :doh:

Muppet

Postby Muppet » Wed Sep 26, 2018 1:38 pm

Muppet

Postby Muppet » Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:25 am

Strange :hmmm:

According to him: He said the so-called Chequers plan, proposed by British Prime Minister May, would have given Britain advantages that are “unacceptable.”.

So why is that plan so unpopular with Remain & Leavers here :dunno:

I can only speculate, Remainers are what it says on the tin, they want to reverse the referendum result & only the status quo will do. Jihad leavers want a 100% complete break & imho their both unreasonable. :explode:

Muppet

Postby Muppet » Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:57 pm

I'm confused, how can there not be a hard border when it comes to 'people' :hmmm:

The border wouldn't have to in Ireland but checks of people entering the mainland by sea & air have to be made surely.

Muppet

Postby Muppet » Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:10 pm

Makes a change to have some potentially good news :agree1:

I dare say that Remainers will still churn out that wont replace trade with EU mantra bull shit. :hmmm: Its bull shit cos we'll still trade with the EU deal or no deal. :spliff:

Muppet

Postby Muppet » Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:03 pm

Not looking good is it. :sad:

Yep, I know the theory that the EU will offer a last minute deal etc but I cant see it as they've dug their heels in on the Irish border & that problem would still be there under WTO rules.

Personally, I dont entirely blame May for the situation we're in but if there isn't a deal on the table at the end of the day 'we' need a 2nd vote :shock: That vote must include the option to stay in the EU.

I base that entirely on the fear of potential job losses & thats based on logic that foreign firms who set up here due to EU access will move out. True, over time, other jobs will/could be created but that isn't much help for those who lose their jobs in the now.

I'm not phased by the prospect WTO terms or the scaremongering on the economy etc. no doubt the economy would take a hit but 'experts' cant accurately predict from one month to the next yet churn out dire warnings decades down the line.

Just 2 options on the vote.

Leave the EU with no deal.

Stay in the EU.

Return to “News, Politics & Current Affairs”